Wednesday, November 25, 2009

A Turkeyless Thanksgiving In India


When I first got into this program, while I couldn't have been happier, a part of me was very sad that I would be missing Thanksgiving for the second year in a row. I consoled myself with the fact that once again, my mom would make Thanksgiving dinner for Christmas. However, it's just not the same. Very thankfully, the Bell family invited our group over for Thanksgiving dinner. The visiting mothers had brought decorations & food which made it feel like Thanksgiving and all the normal foods of corn, mashed potato, cranberry sauce (impressively canned & homemade), green beans, among others were prepared. The only thing was instead of a turkey, we had tandoori chicken. But no matter, it was just amazing to have a home cooked meal and some American style food. After dinner and seconds on dinner, dessert came out including homemade apple crisp. And the best part was, they shared the leftovers and gave us goodie bags. I think I am tied over for now on craving most foods. Although, I still want beef. On the way home, we saw the normal people in the back of a truck but this time with a goat & a goat in the back of a rickshaw. Mumbai, four months later, you still continue to surprise me. Great food, great company & a goat made a Thanksgiving I couldn't have been more thankful for.


No comments:

Post a Comment